Monday, September 22, 2008

soundtrack

My husband is an amazing musician. On top of pure, raw talent, he has a passion for it like I have never seen. Tonight, a dear friend of ours, that is also incredibly talented, came over and after consuming dinner and conversations, we ended up in front of the screen watching John Mayer's Live from LA DVD. We only watched two songs, but it was enough to spark light in all of our eyes.

But it was different for me than it was for them.

They watched and listened with such an intense stare, nothing could have broken their concentration. They saw things that I did not see. They listened to every note, to every aspect of the arrangement, to the guitar chords and the melodies and they heard things that I did not hear. Intoxicated by the melody, the amount of inspiration that welled up inside of their hearts was enough to thirst no more, and the intense desire and longing that began to burn in their tear-stricken eyes would burn a hole through any discouraging thought. And as I watched the enamored love affair with a love that they wish they put more effort towards, I found myself in awe of their passion.

It has been far too long since I have felt that longing and that desire; to want to drop everything and want to pursue something so fast and so hard that for a moment I do not care that the ground beneath me has momentarily become distant and my ambitions no longer seem like dreams written in my journal, but a reality.

I watch them both, pent up with equal amounts of frustration and desire, I find myself humbled to a point of almost jealousy. Because to live with that sort of frustration means you have a desire to change by creating, to make this world a better place by adding something beyond yourself, but somehow has been given to you to add. I look back and forth from the two of them, one my right and on my left, and back to the screen and I find myself saying "Imagine if he got discouraged and just stopped playing, you know before he made it big. Think of all that we would have missed hearing." As they nodded in agreement, I told them that they, too, needed to think of such a consequence in their own desire to learn, to grow, to create, to mold, and to live the way the Creator has intended them to live.

In a world that offers to many soundtracks, it's a blessing to be given a song.

What is my song?

3 comments:

Amander said...

Bonnie, you can totally read our books and comment on our blog! I can't promise we'll have thrilling discussions, but we'd love to have you join us online :)

If you do end up reading the books and want to put something on the blog to discuss, you can just email me and I'll put it up.

Thanks for reading our blog!

Kristina P. said...

Bonnie, thanks so much for the nice comments! You can totally add to the book club discussion. That would be fun.

And I have to admit, that my Twilight statement on my blog is a bit tongue-in-cheek. They aren't my favorite books, but everyone keeps telling me they should be. :) But, I understand why people love them, and more power to Twilight lovers!

Anyway, I hope we can still be cyber-BFFs.

BTW, I totally love your 'trash the dress' pictures. I always wish I had done that after I got married. I will add you to my blogroll!

Kristina P. said...

Amanda is my coworker/very cool book club friend.